Coconut & Raspberry Cookies
- 1 1/2 cup super sourdough flour mix
- 2/3 cup vegan butter/shortening
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup GF oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup plant based milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp strawberry essence
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 4 tbsp flaked almonds
- 6 tbsp finely chopped dairy free white chocolate
- 2/3 cup of raspberry or strawberry jam
- 8 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 4 tbsp sliced almonds
- 6 tsp freeze-dried raspberries (or strawberries)
1. In a large bowl we whisk together the dry ingredients, starting with the flour and the baking powder, and mixing in the rolled oats last.
2. Next we add in the room temperature butter, and gently knead it into the dough until it's evenly ditributed and has a crumbly texture, with no big chunks of butter left.
3. We pour in the almond and raspberry essence, work it in and then little by little add the milk, making sure to knead the dough inbetween. When we're done, the texture should be close to playdough.
Tip: sometimes the recipe requires more or less liquid depending on the texture of the dough. If it's too dry and falls apart we can a bit of extra liquid; if we added too much milk and it feels "wet" or sticky it can be fixed by adding more oats until it's a good, kneadable quality.
4. We work the sliced almonds, the chopped white chocolate and the desiccated coconut into the dough.
5. With the help of a rolling pin, we roll out the dough into approx. 5 cm thickness on a piece of baking paper or non-stick baking mat. To get the right shape we can either or use a heart-shaped cookie cutter, or cut out a heart shape from a piece of baking paper, and trace it on the dough with the tip of a sharp knife; the cookies should come out easily after. We line a baking tray with parchment paper and after placing the cookies on it, we gently press a smaller heartshape into the middle of them, taking care not to crack the dough. With the help of a spoon we fill these indentations with raspberry or strawberry jam. After preheating the oven, we bake them for about 25 minutes at Gas mark 7/200 °C.
6. While our cookies are cooling down, we prepare the ingredients for decorating. In a small bowl or plate we mix together the freeze-dried raspberries, the desiccated coconut and the sliced almond. We place the white chocolate and the cream into a different bowl, put it into the microwave for about 30 seconds, then once we take it out, we whisk vigorously until it's fully melted and has a smooth, creamy texture. One by one, we dip the top of the cookies first into the melted chocolate and then into the toppings mixture, taking care to shake off the excess.
We place them onto a plate while the chocolate sets. Once sets, enjoy this delicious cookies with a cup of tea.
Recipes by Mirella Niebl